Sunday, 12 June 2011

Weather for Ducks...

This morning I caught a chill at the fair. I awoke to clear skies and so walked around to our local fair for a mooch with nothing but a cardi on for warmth. Within half an hour the heavens had opened and it was rained off....boo. Happily my thoughtful other half came to my rescue and found me hiding under a great big tree sheltering from the downpour.
Nevertheless, I had enough time to fill two shoppers with a few sweet bits. Take a look;

a 1930's pottery jug and a large scotty dog
a set of beautiful bowls

A TG Green mixing bowl

a pretty floral pottery dish and a set of six blue ice cream dishes

A selection of vintage jewellery including a rare Charles horner silver christening bangle.

Pretty plates for cake stands, a green glass vase and a pin tray

a 1950's large matchbox cover by Lesney
A 1950's pewter Cigar box made in Stratford-upon-Avon

A glorious 1950's Italian painted vase and a mini glass cake stand

A pretty biscuit tin
As I set off this morning with the streets to myself, a few pounds in my pocket, my shopper to the ready I thought how happy I felt. I know that times are tough and all of us are having to tighten our belts, but in the last few years Steve and I have been through the mill with a few life challenges and we have learnt that all the things that we thought made us happy were just that... things! We never really needed them. So I don't miss my days of shoe shopping in Wimbledon village or scouring the many sales on the High street. These days all I need to feel happy are a few bucks in my pocket and the prospect of a good day of scouting out lost treasures. Pass me the anorak! I have also learned that generally all these things actually do pass and that the real skill in life isn't what to do about the difficult times but what to do through the difficult times because we do eventually come out the other end, it's the manner that we get through them that matters.

So when this week looked set to be a quiet one in the shop, we determined to keep upbeat and so busied ourselves with a combination of business 'housekeeping' if you like, with a few new projects thrown in for good measure.

We had a few 'odds and sods' hanging about in the back room including pottery cups and saucers which although pretty are not fine enough to add to the china hire so I set about re-purposing them.



 Firstly the cups became pretty three tier candle holders for a shabby chic dinner table. Tall taper candles also look great in these.

 While I squirreled away with the upcycles, Steve was very busy doing our accounts- a job neither of us enjoy doing, both being of artistic temperaments but Steve soldiered on and made a large dent in the paperwork. Excellent Moneypenny!

I then set about making cake stands from pieces that had slight damage to them but were too pretty to discard. We began making these three years ago and have found they are still favourites with our customers.




This Ianthe silver plate candle stand had lost its little sconces which held the candles in place so I found these two tiny cups which I thought were quite sweet and attached them in their place.


I also made these biscuit plates combining plates and glasses then embellishing them with porcelain pin cushion dolls.


These adorable Kewpie doll figurines looked so sweet perched on these baby shower biscuit trays.



 These biscuit trays were made from Cornish Blue plates and Staffordshire egg cups.



During the week, I tucked into my copy of Mrs. Beeton's Good Housekeeping book and found so many hilarious 'gems' of wisdom I wanted to find a way of presenting them as fun quirky pieces for the modern home so I found a collection of odd plates and set about scribing some of my favourite quotes.








A couple of weeks ago we supplied several vintage pieces for Julia Boggio's newborn baby shoot. The results were posted on her blog I Carried a Watermelon.  I am sure you will agree a rather scrummy combination.




With a week to go till the Wimbledon Village Fair, I feel a little like lovely Gwyneth above.
It's always a great day out with loads to see and do and a good opportunity to let people know what we are about. With this in mind we have decided to go quite big with the upcycle theme and see what sort of response we get. Finger's crossed.

For now, I will just be happy with a day minus the ducks!




6 comments:

  1. For a rainy day you certainly did very well with your purchases!
    The upcycled china should go down a treat.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayne
    Thanks so much. Have warmed up a bit. Nothing like pancakes and a warm sofa to warm the chill. Have a super evening.
    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just discovered your blog via Nostalgia at the Stonehouse, and love what I have seen. I particularly like your cake stands and the plates with the Mrs. Beeton quotes.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great finds! And I love what you have done with your china stash, especially the Kewpie babies! Hope you shake off the chill soon, in time for the Wimbledon fair on Sat - delighted to hear you will be there - I was hoping you would be. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Holly, I am exhausted reading about all of your activity this week...I am sorry to hear that you are a little unwell and hope you aren't over doing things?...the weather has been hugely against us again for treasure hunting.

    I think all of your candle and cake stands are fabulous...you've been so clever re-purposing an eclectic array of items, to make some truly unique pieces. (How much glue did you get through?! ;-))
    AND those plates with Mrs.B's wise words...you need to get that idea into one of the glossy magazines...Such a great collection and truly a 'Nicholas and Steele' original.

    Take care and have a rest before that fair... What a great advertising opportunity...I'm sure all the effort will be worthwhile...Good Luck!
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little scotty dog at the beginning of your post - so cute! You have made some lovely things with your vintage china.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete